Home » Other » Client Tools » Unable to Connect
Unable to Connect [message #331547] Thu, 03 July 2008 22:42 Go to next message
sweetkhaliq

Dear members

I was connected with oracle 9i database that is installed on server. Know i installed oracle 9i database on my computer for personal use. But problem is that know i am unable to connect to the server database.

Please tell me why it did not connected with the server database.
Thanks & regards.
Re: Unable to Connect [message #331549 is a reply to message #331547] Thu, 03 July 2008 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Please read & follow Posting Guidelines below
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/

My car used to go.
My car won't go.
Please tell me how to make my car go again.
Re: Unable to Connect [message #331551 is a reply to message #331549] Thu, 03 July 2008 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sweetkhaliq

We are using windows XP and Database 9i release2.

[Updated on: Thu, 03 July 2008 23:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Unable to Connect [message #331552 is a reply to message #331547] Thu, 03 July 2008 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
My car is a Toyota with 3 Liter engine.

Now tell me how to make my car go!
Re: Unable to Connect [message #331555 is a reply to message #331552] Fri, 04 July 2008 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sweetkhaliq

Dear anacedent
Sorry i was unable to convey the problem that i am facing. But i try once more.

On our server machine database 9i has installed. And other computers are using server database by making connection string in TNSNAME.ORA file.

Problem
Know i have installed database 9i on my computer for personal usage. And for company work i want to use server data base. But after installation database on my computer, server database is not accessable. When i try to connect to server it give error.
Ora-12154: TNS could not resolve the Service Name

Please Tell me how i can resolve this problem
Re: Unable to Connect [message #331569 is a reply to message #331555] Fri, 04 July 2008 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sweetkhaliq

dear anacedent
have you got all necessary info to run the car.
Waiting for reply.
Re: Unable to Connect [message #331570 is a reply to message #331555] Fri, 04 July 2008 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified
 *Cause:  A connection to a database or other service was requested using
 a connect identifier, and the connect identifier specified could not
 be resolved into a connect descriptor using one of the naming methods
 configured. For example, if the type of connect identifier used was a
 net service name then the net service name could not be found in a
 naming method repository, or the repository could not be
 located or reached.
 *Action:
   - If you are using local naming (TNSNAMES.ORA file):
      - Make sure that "TNSNAMES" is listed as one of the values of the
        NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH parameter in the Oracle Net profile
        (SQLNET.ORA)
      - Verify that a TNSNAMES.ORA file exists and is in the proper
        directory and is accessible.
      - Check that the net service name used as the connect identifier
        exists in the TNSNAMES.ORA file.
      - Make sure there are no syntax errors anywhere in the TNSNAMES.ORA
        file.  Look for unmatched parentheses or stray characters. Errors
        in a TNSNAMES.ORA file may make it unusable.
   - If you are using directory naming:
      - Verify that "LDAP" is listed as one of the values of the
        NAMES.DIRETORY_PATH parameter in the Oracle Net profile
        (SQLNET.ORA).
      - Verify that the LDAP directory server is up and that it is
        accessible.
      - Verify that the net service name or database name used as the
        connect identifier is configured in the directory.
      - Verify that the default context being used is correct by
        specifying a fully qualified net service name or a full LDAP DN
        as the connect identifier
   - If you are using easy connect naming:
      - Verify that "EZCONNECT" is listed as one of the values of the
        NAMES.DIRETORY_PATH parameter in the Oracle Net profile
        (SQLNET.ORA).
      - Make sure the host, port and service name specified
        are correct.
      - Try enclosing the connect identifier in quote marks.

See the Oracle Net Services Administrators Guide or the Oracle
   operating system specific guide for more information on naming.

This is in the car manual.

Regards
Michel
Re: Unable to Connect [message #331571 is a reply to message #331570] Fri, 04 July 2008 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sweetkhaliq

dear Michel Cadot
Thanks for providing car manual. But before reading this manual i want to inform you that know both databases are connected through PL/SQL develper and sql plus. i do not know how i achieve this task.
But when i try to connect through toad it give previous mention error Ora-12154: TNS could not resolve the Service Name. But it connected only local data base that is installed on my computer.
Can you provide me information about why toad did not connect the server data base.

Thanks for Reply.

[Updated on: Fri, 04 July 2008 01:24]

Re: Unable to Connect [message #331572 is a reply to message #331571] Fri, 04 July 2008 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
I think this is a TOAD problem and I think you will find the answer in Client Tools forum as this has been adressed several.
As I don't use this (s... of) tool, I can't say more.

Regards
Michel
Re: Unable to Connect [message #331575 is a reply to message #331571] Fri, 04 July 2008 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
If I read you well, you once were able to connect to the database residing on your server using TOAD.
Then you installed a database on your local machine, and after that you could no longer connect to your server-side database.
This sounds like TOAD uses a new (default) ORACLE_HOME, in which the tnsnames.ora (located in %ORACLE_HOME%\network\admin) there is no entry for your central database.

Do a global search on your computer for tnsnames.ora and make sure that every instance of the file (except for those that are located in a SAMPLE-dir) contain all necessary entries.
Re: Unable to Connect [message #331636 is a reply to message #331575] Fri, 04 July 2008 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Frank
... make sure that every instance of the file ...

That's fine; only, if you install several Oracle products, you'll find yourself in a quest of maintaining several TNSNAMES.ORA files. Do you want to do that? I don't.

So, perhaps you could research use of the TNS_ADMIN environment variable which will point Oracle to a single directory which contains single copy of the TNSNAMES.ORA file which is then used by all programs that need it.
Re: Unable to Connect [message #331639 is a reply to message #331636] Fri, 04 July 2008 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
I know, but for people that don't know how this works, it usually is the easiest way to go, to just keep the tnsnames.ora-files in sync.
Once you get the hang of it, understand how it works and get tired of maintaining multiple copies, you go looking for other options.
Re: Unable to Connect [message #331666 is a reply to message #331639] Fri, 04 July 2008 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Yes, that's true (actually, was true in my case). Once I got tired of maintaining 4 TNSNAMES.ORA files, I searched for a better solution.
Re: Unable to Connect [message #331755 is a reply to message #331666] Sat, 05 July 2008 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sweetkhaliq

Dear Frank

I copied all necessary entries from C:\orant\NET80\ADMIN\TNSNAMES.ORA in newly installed database D:\orant\network\admin\tnsnames.ora file. But still i was unable to connect to server database.
How i can connect to both database from toad.
Thanks for reply.
Re: Unable to Connect [message #331772 is a reply to message #331755] Sat, 05 July 2008 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
I don't use TOAD myself, but I reckon there is a way to determine (or even define) which tnsnames it uses.
Also check if sqlnet.ora are the same.

I must say that I find it odd to hear that a 10g installation picked orant as root-dir (or did you choose that yourself?)
Also, I would expect a deeper directory-structure towards the network dir.
Re: Unable to Connect [message #331812 is a reply to message #331772] Sat, 05 July 2008 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Frank
I find it odd to hear that a 10g installation picked orant as root-dir (or did you choose that yourself?)

Ouch! Perhaps Frank is on the right way ... did you, by any chance, install more than one Oracle product into the same Oracle Home (i.e. into the same directory)? If so, well, it might have been a wrong decision.

As a rule of thumb, I ALWAYS install Oracle products into DIFFERENT directories. Perhaps you should do the same.
Re: Unable to Connect [message #331951 is a reply to message #331812] Sun, 06 July 2008 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sweetkhaliq

I have make different oracle home for new database.
thansk for reply.

[Updated on: Sun, 06 July 2008 22:20]

Re: Unable to Connect [message #331953 is a reply to message #331547] Sun, 06 July 2008 22:31 Go to previous message
sweetkhaliq

Thanks Frank
I have copied the sqlnet.ora into knew database. Know it is connected.

Previous Topic: Deployment Tools
Next Topic: Block access to production databases using TOAD,SQLNAV
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:51:37 CDT 2024