Home » Other » Client Tools » How to use IN parameters with in the begin statement..
How to use IN parameters with in the begin statement.. [message #38691] Mon, 06 May 2002 13:45 Go to next message
Suchita
Hi,

Here is my procedure.

CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE comp1(
schema_name VARCHAR2,
tolerance NUMBER,
no_of_rows OUT NUMBER) AS

NO_OF_ROWS_SELECTED NUMBER(10);

BEGIN

SELECT a.invoice_id,
a.amount,b.amount
FROM schema_name.invoice@x1 a,
schema_name.invoice@x2 b
WHERE
a.invoice_id(+) = b.invoice_id
AND ABS(a.amount-b.amount) /
DECODE( SQRT(POWER(a.amount,2)+POWER (b.amount,2)),0,1,SQRT(POWER(a.amount,2)+POWER(b.amount,2)) )
> tolerance;

NO_OF_ROWS_SELECTED := SQL%ROWCOUNT;
comp1.no_of_rows := NO_OF_ROWS_SELECTED;

DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE ('No_of_rows_selected='||comp1.no_of_rows);

END;
/

I am getting the following error.
12/6 PL/SQL: SQL Statement ignored
14/13 PLS-00201: identifier 'SCHEMA_NAME' must be declared

If anyone knows how to use it please let me know.

Thanks,
Kumar
Re: How to use IN parameters with in the begin statement.. [message #38692 is a reply to message #38691] Mon, 06 May 2002 14:08 Go to previous message
Todd Barry
There are many different problems with your code:

1) You can only use dynamic SQL to handle varying table or column names as you are trying to do here with schema_name.

2) You can only SELECT INTO a variable - in other words, you cannot just have a plain SELECT statement in your procedure.

3) A SELECT INTO can only handle one row. So, SQL%ROWCOUNT will not give you what you are looking for (it will always either be 0 or 1, unless you are doing a bulk collect).

4) To determine the number of rows, you will need a query that contains a COUNT(*), or you will need to use a CURSOR FOR loop to iterate through the result set and count the rows.

5) No need to assign the number to a variable and then the OUT parameter - just assign to the OUT parameter directly.
Previous Topic: How to create a auto indent primary key ?
Next Topic: Re: Update problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 22:30:49 CDT 2024