Home » Other » General » Compatibility between TimesTen and Oracle databases
Compatibility between TimesTen and Oracle databases [message #463279] Wed, 30 June 2010 08:56 Go to next message
fran_indra
Hi there,

I'm not sure if this is the right side for my question, I apologize if not.

I have an Oracle 11g db and I'm considering installing the Oracle TimesTen In-Memory Database Cache (v11.2) to increase the general performance but, after reading the Oracle documentation and the information I found in internet I have some doubts that maybe you can clarify for me:

• What happens with all the PL/SQL procedures, triggers and packages stored in the DB and with the OS scripts? I mean, Will they continue working without any change from my side or I need to do changes?

This question comes because I have read that exist problems of compatibility between TimesTen and Oracle like problems with Roles, Profiles, Tablespaces, Rollback Segments, etc, besides having differences between some data types.

• What happens with the JAVA and C applications that connect to the db which I have already developed and working? I mean, Will they continue being able to send the same SQL statements to the DB?

From what I have seen so far, it seems the only thing I have to do is to change the local ODBC client driver to point to the TimesTen db server and after that, by means of the Passthrough Feature, every SQL statement incoming will be executed on the TimesTen db if possible and redirected to the Oracle db in other case. Is that correct or I have to change the apps code?

• Is it possible to use TOAD to connect and configure the TimesTen db or I have to use SQL Developer? I see that I need to perform some configuration steps on SQL Developer before being able to use it with TimesTen db.

• Is there any other problem about compatibilities that I'm missing and I should take in consideration?

Thanks in advance.
Re: Compatibility between TimesTen and Oracle databases [message #463368 is a reply to message #463279] Thu, 01 July 2010 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
A great set of questions. I hope that someone here can answer them for you.

David
Re: Compatibility between TimesTen and Oracle databases [message #464405 is a reply to message #463368] Wed, 07 July 2010 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rahulvb
Indeed Great set of question and it seems that you have done lot of reading to pop them up ,But I think you will not get the Answer unless you perform Some POC of the Exercise you are doing.

All the best.
Re: Compatibility between TimesTen and Oracle databases [message #464420 is a reply to message #463279] Thu, 08 July 2010 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fran_indra
Hi, I got answer for my questions in other side. You can consider the post closed. Anyway thanks.
Re: Compatibility between TimesTen and Oracle databases [message #464423 is a reply to message #464420] Thu, 08 July 2010 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Maybe you can consider posting the answers you got, it would be fair.

Regards
Michel
Re: Compatibility between TimesTen and Oracle databases [message #464491 is a reply to message #464423] Thu, 08 July 2010 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rahulvb
Michel Cadot wrote on Thu, 08 July 2010 01:38
Maybe you can consider posting the answers you got, it would be fair.

Regards
Michel

@fran_indra

Indeed.
Re: Compatibility between TimesTen and Oracle databases [message #464558 is a reply to message #463279] Thu, 08 July 2010 07:11 Go to previous message
fran_indra
It seems that to get advantage of TimesTen you have to design the architecture thinking from the beginning in this utility and redesign an existing architecture to retrofitting TimesTen will be difficult and require quite changes in the applications source code and PLs. That's because of TimesTen does not support triggers, XML, user data types, etc and its SQL is not 100% compatible with Oracle SQL.

[Updated on: Thu, 08 July 2010 07:12]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Stored function not returning result set unless recompiled
Next Topic: Oracle Documaker
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:29:38 CDT 2024