Home » Other » Client Tools » Oracle SQL Developer
Oracle SQL Developer [message #477553] Fri, 01 October 2010 13:24 Go to next message
newbie3
Hello Guys,
I am working on the data modeling for an obiee project. I have all the tables in my BI Database(using oracle sql developer). My main schema is there in this database. I logged in with my username and password and I have read/write access to my area and read access to the main schema. I was asked to copy all the tables from the main schema and create it in my area and then load data from those tables(main schema) to tables in my area. When I try to create the table it says that I do not have enough privileges. I do not know whether am doing the right thing. I am supposed to work in my area where I have all the access but am not able to find how I do it in my area.
Can you guys please help me figuring this out.

Thank You.
Re: Oracle SQL Developer [message #477554 is a reply to message #477553] Fri, 01 October 2010 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
> I do not know whether am doing the right thing
Fair enough, but neither do we know what you are doing.

I don't know what you have.
I don't know what you do.
I don't know what you see.
It is really, Really, REALLY difficult to fix a problem that can not be seen.
use COPY & PASTE so we can see what you do & how Oracle responds.

It would be helpful if you followed Posting Guidelines - http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/
Re: Oracle SQL Developer [message #477555 is a reply to message #477553] Fri, 01 October 2010 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I'm not familiar with OBIEE terminology, so I don't know what "my area" is. I think that this might be a "schema" (i.e. nothing special), but I'm not sure.

Anyway: if I was right, in order to create a table in your schema, you need CREATE TABLE privilege. This, as well as any other privileges, you can get from a privileged user (such as SYS, for example).

On the other hand, doing that (creating tables and loading data) the way you described is, well, not the best way. I'd rather try with export and import utilities. They are used at operating system command prompt. If this is an option, here's the documentation.

In a few words: you'd first export "main schema" and then import it into your own schema:
exp main_schema_user/pwd file=main_schema.dmp
imp your_schema/pwd file=main_schema.dmp

There are MANY other options which you can learn by reading the documentation.

If I'm wrong, could you explain it once again, please?
Re: Oracle SQL Developer [message #477556 is a reply to message #477553] Fri, 01 October 2010 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
To add,
Please post the exact message
>>it says that I do not have enough privileges.
Which specific privilege? Just copy and paste.

How did you "copy" and "create" the tables?
A lot of thingies could have been different in two databases.
Tablespaces/privileges to mention a couple.

Re: Oracle SQL Developer [message #477560 is a reply to message #477555] Fri, 01 October 2010 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
newbie3
Thanks for responding so fast guys. I am very new to this so am not able to ask the questions in the right way. I apologise for that.
The information you provided helped. Thank You once again.
Re: Oracle SQL Developer [message #477564 is a reply to message #477560] Fri, 01 October 2010 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
What you have told us is that you are doing something involving Oracle & getting some error.
If we knew EXACTLY what you do & EXACTLY how Oracle responds; then more than likely we can tell you what needs to change.
As it stands now, the ball is in your court since we are not mind readers and are NOT standing behind you to see what you see.
Re: Oracle SQL Developer [message #477570 is a reply to message #477564] Fri, 01 October 2010 15:13 Go to previous message
newbie3
@blackswan

Yes it was my fault that I could not give you enough information. I will try n be more specific the next time Smile
Previous Topic: login to isql*plus
Next Topic: How to enable the Profiler in Toad?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 02:59:03 CDT 2024