Home » Other » Client Tools » SQLPLUs not starting from command prompt
SQLPLUs not starting from command prompt [message #490166] Fri, 21 January 2011 08:35 Go to next message
Quetzalcoatl1
Hi,

(if already posted in another subject simply let me know please)

I am able to start SQLPLUS from Start | Program files | Oracle - OraHome92 | Application development |

I provide appropriate credentials and i'm ready to go.

Unfortunately, when trying to start it from the "command prompt" window with the following command SQLPLUS, it generates the infamous error message like
"... unknown etc... "

Any variables i need to change on my client machine ?

Thanks for any valuable feed-back !
Re: SQLPLUs not starting from command prompt [message #490168 is a reply to message #490166] Fri, 21 January 2011 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Please COPY and PASTE what you do and see (in TEXT mode, no image).
Post also the result of command "set" at DOS prompt.

Before, Please read OraFAQ Forum Guide, especially "How to format your post?" section.
Use the "Preview Message" button to verify.
Also always post your Oracle version, with 4 decimals.

Regards
Michel
Re: SQLPLUs not starting from command prompt [message #490174 is a reply to message #490166] Fri, 21 January 2011 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quetzalcoatl1
Merci Michel,

- In windows XP Professional
- I start the RUN PROGRAM window and type cmd to start the command prompt window
- I am automatically sent to the following path C:\Document and settings\MyUserName\>
- I then type SQLPLUS
- I then receive the following error message: "Not recognized as an internal or external command" bla bla bla
- I know that i am able to start SQLPLUS from Start | Program files | Oracle - OraHome92 | Application development |
- Release 9.2.0.1.0 is my Oracle version
- I saw in other subject forums people writing about echo orahome or things like that but was quite mixed because many information was also displayed in relation to those posts.

So is it possible to have from someone a simple tip on this question so that i don't spend more time searching over the net please ?

Thanks in advance to all !
Re: SQLPLUs not starting from command prompt [message #490175 is a reply to message #490174] Fri, 21 January 2011 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>- I then receive the following error message: "Not recognized as an internal or external command" bla bla bla
above occurs when the directory containing sqlplus.exe executable file is not part of PATH variable content; %ORACLE_HOME%/BIN
Re: SQLPLUs not starting from command prompt [message #490183 is a reply to message #490174] Fri, 21 January 2011 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
Please COPY and PASTE what you do and see (in TEXT mode, no image).
Post also the result of command "set" at DOS prompt.

Do NOT try to explain what you don't understand, just copy and paste your DOS session and command I asked.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Fri, 21 January 2011 12:00]

Report message to a moderator

Re: SQLPLUs not starting from command prompt [message #490188 is a reply to message #490183] Fri, 21 January 2011 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quetzalcoatl1
Michel,

Here it is:

Microsoft Windows XP [version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\MyUserName>set
ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
APPDATA=C:\Documents and Settings\MyUserName\Application Data
CLASSPATH=.;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\QTJava.zip
CommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs
COMPUTERNAME=MyComputer
ComSpec=C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
FP_NO_HOST_CHECK=NO
HOMEDRIVE=C:
HOMEPATH=\Documents and Settings\MyUserName
HOMESHARE=\\wqc123456789\Users1
LOGONSERVER=\\QC123456789
MSTR_CLASSPATH=C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\MicroStrategy
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=2
OS=Windows_NT
Path=C:\Program Files\TMQ\cedosinterface;C:\Perl\bin\;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WIN
DOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\TMQ\cedosinterface;C:\Program Fil
es\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit\
PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10, GenuineIntel
PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6
PROCESSOR_REVISION=170a
ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files
PROMPT=$P$G
QTJAVA=C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\QTJava.zip
SESSIONNAME=Console
SystemDrive=C:
SystemRoot=C:\WINDOWS
TEMP=C:\Temp
TMP=C:\Temp
TMQWinDir=\\Server1\Informatique\Partage\Applications\TMQ
USERDNSDOMAIN=MyEmployer.ca
USERDOMAIN=DOMAINEMyEmployer
USERNAME=MyUserName
USERPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\MyUserName
windir=C:\WINDOWS

C:\Documents and Settings\MyUserName>

Re: SQLPLUs not starting from command prompt [message #490189 is a reply to message #490188] Fri, 21 January 2011 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Neither ORACLE_HOME nor ORACLE_SID (if you want to access a local database) is set and PATH does not contain %ORACLE_HOME%\BIN.

Regards
Michel
Re: SQLPLUs not starting from command prompt [message #490198 is a reply to message #490189] Fri, 21 January 2011 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quetzalcoatl1
1- So to resume, i need to add the following expression to the list of paths already there in the "Path" section ?
;C:\oracle\ora92\bin

2- Also, i need to go to my "System Properties" and create/modify the ORACLE_HOME and the ORACLE_SID System variable and the following the expression:
C:\oracle\ora92\bin

3- Then verify that everything is been applied by going in the command prompt and then typing
C:\> echo %ORACLE_HOME%

ARE THESE STEP BY STEPS INSTRUCTIONS OK OR AM I MISSING SOMETHING ?
Re: SQLPLUs not starting from command prompt [message #490199 is a reply to message #490198] Fri, 21 January 2011 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
ORACLE_SID is useful only if you want to connect to a local database.

I don't understand what you mean by "create/modify [...] the following the expression: C:\oracle\ora92\bin" otherwise the steps are good.

Regards
Michel
Re: SQLPLUs not starting from command prompt [message #490200 is a reply to message #490199] Fri, 21 January 2011 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quetzalcoatl1
ok thanks to both of you,

- I meant that i needed to right-click on My Computer | Properties | click on System Variables button|
- Then, under the "System Variables" section to symply Create a NEW system variable like "ORACLE_SID" or Modify existing ones like "ORACLE_HOME" in order to enter appropriate values like
C:\oracle\ora92\bin

Am i right ?
Re: SQLPLUs not starting from command prompt [message #490201 is a reply to message #490200] Fri, 21 January 2011 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Yes but the correct value is something like C:\oracle\ora92 without bin.

Regards
Michel
Re: SQLPLUs not starting from command prompt [message #490202 is a reply to message #490201] Fri, 21 January 2011 14:27 Go to previous message
Quetzalcoatl1
Great !

Chat to you all soon for near future questions.

Smile
Previous Topic: SQL*Plus immediately prompts for value while using &variable_name
Next Topic: oracle 10g service problem (2 Merged)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 03:55:23 CDT 2024