Home » Server Options » Spatial » cant start oracleDBconsoleorcl service on my xp machine (oracle 11g R1, oc4j start-up kit)
cant start oracleDBconsoleorcl service on my xp machine [message #551362] Tue, 17 April 2012 11:17 Go to next message
vikkyadithya01
Hello everyone, i have read some threads egarding the Error2 message when trying to start the oracleDBconsoleorcl service and tried them, but they dont seem to work... So i have decide to post this. kindly help me...

I have installed oracle11gR1 home edition on a stand alone xp machine, added the required java and oracle environment variables. I have also downloaded the oc4j start up kit which needs to be simply unzipped and oracle_home variable set to oc4j folder. all seems good until i try to add a new data source in the mapviewer admin page. it gives me a Mapviewer 00011 error and says cant create the data source. after looking around on the net, i found out that oracleDBconsoleorcl service must be up to create the datasource.

I cant start it, it gives me error2 when i try that... Dont know what to do... can anyone help me wih this ????
Re: cant start oracleDBconsoleorcl service on my xp machine [message #551380 is a reply to message #551362] Tue, 17 April 2012 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Oracle doesn't have any home edition. Oracle has Enterprise Edition and Personal Edition and Express Edition. Windows has home edition and professional edition. Oracle is not certified for Windows home edition and will not install properly or run properly on it. You need to upgrade to Windows professional.
Re: cant start oracleDBconsoleorcl service on my xp machine [message #551382 is a reply to message #551380] Tue, 17 April 2012 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Actually, according to the Licensing information, there are Oracle database
- Standard Edition One,
- Standard Edition,
- Enterprise Edition,
- Express Edition and
- Personal Edition

I agree with the rest of Barbara's message.
Re: cant start oracleDBconsoleorcl service on my xp machine [message #551415 is a reply to message #551382] Wed, 18 April 2012 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vikkyadithya01
Hello barbara and littlefoot, thank you both for the time you took to read my post and to reply..
It was my mistake actually. i have installed oracle 11g Realease1 Enterprise edition on my windows XP machine....
And the oracleDBconsoleorcl service still does not start.....!! And because of this, i am unable to create a datasource in mapviewer and am also not able to connect to mvdemo account using the mapbuilder...
I installed the same 11gR1 on my friends laptop and it works Fine.. I dont get it.. on his laptop, under the services, oracleDBconsoleorcl is set to "Automatic" and when i start oc4j, that service is automatically started.. On my machine i tried both automatic and manual start, but it just wont start....... Dont know what to do...
I read in here somewhere that i have to create a duplicate copy of the folder called "oracle_hostname_orcl" and replace hostname with "localhost"... but guess what, it is already with the same name...
Can you tell me what can be done ?? should i reinstall oracle again ???? I wish not to do that....
Re: cant start oracleDBconsoleorcl service on my xp machine [message #551417 is a reply to message #551415] Wed, 18 April 2012 01:49 Go to previous message
Barbara Boehmer
Here is a link to someone with a similar problem and the folder-copying solution that worked for him.

http://manage-geospatial.blogspot.com/2011/09/oracle-11g-windows-could-not-start.html
Previous Topic: How to move sdo_geometry type index?
Next Topic: Help with Spatial Query
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:05:31 CDT 2024