Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Is there any way to have the DB articulate why PDML is blocked (11.2.0.3)
Is there any way to have the DB articulate why PDML is blocked [message #584243] Fri, 10 May 2013 08:03 Go to next message
Roachcoach
All,

I think the answer is "no", but I figure you guys will know if it can be done.

The question is, per title, simple:

Can I have the database show why it cannot perform parallel DML (update) to a given object?

I've checked the basics in accordance with the documentation i.e. triggers/partitions/self referencing FKs etc - I'd like to say I know what I'm doing with this but this eludes me.

The only vague reference in the documentation is "replication is not supported" but there is no expansion to this.

I was hoping to find out what I'm missing that is blocking the PDML.

I have tried a 10053 trace to check the hint section - but of course the hint is accepted anyway as even if the PDML cant be done, it still parallelizes the underlying object scan Sad

I CAN take a copy of the DDL and get PDML to work on that copy - my only suspect, really, is goldengate replication blocking it. You may think this is covered by "replication is not supported" but in my brief foray into that, I was pretty sure it sat well "under" the optimizer so I'd have been surprised (though not shocked) if that was the culprit.

Cheers
Re: Is there any way to have the DB articulate why PDML is blocked [message #584248 is a reply to message #584243] Fri, 10 May 2013 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
What are your parallel session/instance parameters (show parameter parallel)?

Regards
Michel
Re: Is there any way to have the DB articulate why PDML is blocked [message #584251 is a reply to message #584248] Fri, 10 May 2013 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roachcoach
15:31:15 SQL>sho parameter parallel

NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
------------------------------------ ----------- ------------------------------
fast_start_parallel_rollback         string      LOW
parallel_adaptive_multi_user         boolean     FALSE
parallel_automatic_tuning            boolean     FALSE
parallel_degree_limit                string      CPU
parallel_degree_policy               string      MANUAL
parallel_execution_message_size      integer     16384
parallel_force_local                 boolean     FALSE
parallel_instance_group              string
parallel_io_cap_enabled              boolean     FALSE
parallel_max_servers                 integer     512
parallel_min_percent                 integer     0
parallel_min_servers                 integer     0
parallel_min_time_threshold          string      AUTO
parallel_server                      boolean     FALSE
parallel_server_instances            integer     1
parallel_servers_target              integer     512
parallel_threads_per_cpu             integer     2
recovery_parallelism                 integer     0

15:32:32 SQL>l
  1  select PDML_STATUS from v$session
  2* where username = USER
15:32:33 SQL>/

PDML_STA
--------
ENABLED
ENABLED

I /can/ get PDL working on some tables but not all. One of the troubled tables has a trigger, but disabling it doesnt help.

As mentioned, no self referencing constraints, just a PK and not nulls/checks. No LOBs /distributed tnxs either, not IOT/cluser. It's basic of the basic as table structures go.

[Updated on: Fri, 10 May 2013 09:41]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Is there any way to have the DB articulate why PDML is blocked [message #584260 is a reply to message #584251] Fri, 10 May 2013 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
The problem may be:
parallel_min_time_threshold          string      AUTO

Are the DML that do not take the parallel way the fastest ones (in serial)?

Regards
Michel
Re: Is there any way to have the DB articulate why PDML is blocked [message #584327 is a reply to message #584260] Mon, 13 May 2013 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roachcoach
I can't tell - I cant get it to display a parallel plan to see the estimate. I shouldn't think so - these are big (in the context of PX being worse than serial) (7-10ish gb) tables.

Plus when I regenerate the tables using their own DDL, I can force a parallel plan, just not on the "live" tables.

[Updated on: Mon, 13 May 2013 02:06]

Re: Is there any way to have the DB articulate why PDML is blocked [message #584328 is a reply to message #584327] Mon, 13 May 2013 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
As parallel_degree_policy is MANUAL, parallel_min_time_threshold is ignored and internally set to its default value of 30 seconds.

Regards
Michel
Re: Is there any way to have the DB articulate why PDML is blocked [message #584330 is a reply to message #584328] Mon, 13 May 2013 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roachcoach
For the two objects I know of which give me trouble the plans estimate 36 and 66 seconds respectively, in serial.
Re: Is there any way to have the DB articulate why PDML is blocked [message #584336 is a reply to message #584330] Mon, 13 May 2013 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Sorry, no more idea for the moment.
Maybe someone else?

regards
Michel
Re: Is there any way to have the DB articulate why PDML is blocked [message #584338 is a reply to message #584336] Mon, 13 May 2013 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roachcoach
Yeah, I've hit the limits of my understanding too - as I say, golden gate is my last remaining suspect which is why I was hoping there was a way I could have the DB tell me what the issue around using it was.
Re: Is there any way to have the DB articulate why PDML is blocked [message #584545 is a reply to message #584338] Wed, 15 May 2013 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pointers
Hi,

I am not sure if it makes any help, not sure if you are forcing a parallel hint.

Quote:
The parallel() hint does not tell Oracle to run a query in parallel, it tells the optimizer to use a certain scale factor in certain areas of its calculation. But if a path is still too expensive, even after scaling, that path will not be chosen.

Jonthan has written here

Regards,
Pointers
Re: Is there any way to have the DB articulate why PDML is blocked [message #584554 is a reply to message #584545] Wed, 15 May 2013 06:17 Go to previous message
Roachcoach
Thanks.

I am hinting, yes. It *is* taking the hint - observed in both 10053 trace and the fact that even when PDML is not possible it still scans the underlying object in parallel if you requested PDML. I'm seeing that scan happen in parallel.

It's just the PDML part it is not doing. Unfortunately I've been a bit busy this week so haven't had the chance to dig further into it Sad

[Updated on: Wed, 15 May 2013 06:18]

Previous Topic: why this query is utilizing my undo so rapidly?
Next Topic: Oracle generates different execution plans for test and prod environments
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:11:00 CDT 2024