Home » Other » Client Tools » Error 6 initializing SQL*Plus (oracle instant client 12102 win10)
Error 6 initializing SQL*Plus [message #656775] Tue, 18 October 2016 10:45 Go to next message
quirks
Hello,

My sysadmin guided me through the installation process of the oracle instant client for 12c. Which was basicaly copying a folder to C:\Program Files\oraclnt12102 and setting up the environment varables:
ORACLE_HOME
TNS_ADMIN
NLS_LANG
and updating PATH.

When I start sqlplus in the ORACLE_HOME folder everything works fine.
C:\>%ORACLE_HOME%\sqlplus

But if I call it from a different folder (C:\>sqlplus), I get the message:
Error 6 initializing SQL*Plus
SP2-0667: Message file sp1<lang>.msb not found
SP2-0750: You may need to set ORACLE_HOME to your Oracle software directory

What am I doing wrong (besides using Win10 ^^)
Re: Error 6 initializing SQL*Plus [message #656777 is a reply to message #656775] Tue, 18 October 2016 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
ORACLE_HOME is not correct

open up Command Window & issue command below

SET

COPY the results then PASTE all back here.
Re: Error 6 initializing SQL*Plus [message #656779 is a reply to message #656775] Tue, 18 October 2016 11:47 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Quote:
When I start sqlplus in the ORACLE_HOME folder everything works fine.
C:\>%ORACLE_HOME%\sqlplus
As there is no sqlplus executable in %ORACLE_HOME% directory (it is in %ORACLE_HOME%\bin), I think you have something not standard.

Quote:
Which was basicaly copying a folder to C:\Program Files\oraclnt12102 and setting up the environment varables:
No this is not just that, some keys are created in the registry and other stuff in %SystemDrive%\Program Files.

It should be better you download the Instant client from Oracle site (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/instant-client/index-097480.html) and do the correct install.

Previous Topic: Set path in variable
Next Topic: Trying to open the XML (CLOB Data) from a table. Getting "out of Memory" error in plsql developer to
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:59:44 CDT 2024