Home » Other » General » installing oracle 11g for oracle 8i Enterprise edition license (11.0.2.10)
installing oracle 11g for oracle 8i Enterprise edition license [message #663787] Mon, 19 June 2017 05:21 Go to next message
OraFerro
Dear All,

I need to know if there is any license issue regarding the following:
1- whether I can install Oracle 11g on my production server if the license my organization has is "Oracle8 Enterprise Edition - Named User".

2- The license is for quantity = 50 while
select sessions_current, SESSIONS_HIGHWATER, CPU_COUNT_CURRENT, CPU_CORE_COUNT_HIGHWATER from v$license;

SESSIONS_CURRENT	SESSIONS_HIGHWATER	CPU_COUNT_CURRENT	CPU_CORE_COUNT_HIGHWATER
68	                     126	           2	                      1

3- The license also include "Oracle Programmer - perpetual Qty 3" and "Oracle Internet Developer Suite - Named User Perpetual Qty 1". Will I still need those licenses after installing 11g knowing that I use web services to access PL/SQL layer and I use Oracle reports 6 (for which I have a separate license).

Many thanks,
Ferro
Re: installing oracle 11g for oracle 8i Enterprise edition license [message #663789 is a reply to message #663787] Mon, 19 June 2017 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
The earliest release that still has support is 8.1.7, and that is only "sustaining" support. Sustaining support does include upgrade rights. So if you have been paying for support for all the years since you bought the licences, I would think that you can convert your licences to 50 NUP+ and upgrade to 11.2.0.4.
If you have not been paying for support, you will of course have to buy new licences. My boss would be happy to quote Smile
Re: installing oracle 11g for oracle 8i Enterprise edition license [message #663796 is a reply to message #663789] Tue, 20 June 2017 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OraFerro
@John Watson and All,
We have been paying for support since we first got the license.
So to be 100% clear, its advisable to upgrade but license status is OK regardless of the upgrade. Correct?

What about my 2nd and 3rd inquiry? Any advises?

Thanks,
Ferro
Re: installing oracle 11g for oracle 8i Enterprise edition license [message #663797 is a reply to message #663796] Tue, 20 June 2017 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I don't know that those other products still exist. If you ain't using them, why pay for them? Remember that I'm not any sort of licensing expert.
Re: installing oracle 11g for oracle 8i Enterprise edition license [message #663846 is a reply to message #663796] Wed, 21 June 2017 06:48 Go to previous message
EdStevens
OraFerro wrote on Tue, 20 June 2017 01:37
@John Watson and All,
We have been paying for support since we first got the license.
So to be 100% clear, its advisable to upgrade but license status is OK regardless of the upgrade. Correct?

What about my 2nd and 3rd inquiry? Any advises?

Thanks,
Ferro

A license is a legal contract between Oracle Corp. and your company. No on on the web give you more than a semi-educated opinion, which has no legal standing. You need to be addressing these kinds of questions directly to Oracle or the Oracle Partner that sold your company the license. If Oracle Corp. were to decide to audit your compliance, "some guy on a bulletin board said it was all right" will not carry any weight.
Previous Topic: Import schema Statistics in different oracle database
Next Topic: Oracle licensing worst
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:37:21 CDT 2024