Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Unable to fire RAISE FORM_TRIGGER_FAILURE (Oracle forms 11g -32 bit on Windows 7 professional)
Unable to fire RAISE FORM_TRIGGER_FAILURE [message #678341] Mon, 25 November 2019 14:27 Go to next message
buggleboy007
I have the following code in PL/SQL library under a procedure called MOD$WHEN_VALIDATE_ITEM trigger:
  IF GET_SYS_PARAM(NAME_IN('SCTN.BUSINESS_UNIT_ID'), 'CLASS_ID_VARCHAR2_IND') IN('N','Y',NULL)THEN
      IF NAME_IN('SCTN.CLASS_ID') = '0000' THEN
       MESSAGE('SANDEEP 4 ZEROS'); PAUSE;
       rams$msg_alert('2593', 'E', TRUE);
       RAISE FORM_TRIGGER_FAILURE;  
      ELSIF NAME_IN('SCTN.CLASS_ID') = '000' THEN
       MESSAGE('SANDEEP 3 ZEROS'); PAUSE;
        raise form_trigger_failure;
      ELSIF NAME_IN('SCTN.CLASS_ID') = '00' THEN
       MESSAGE('SANDEEP 2 ZEROS'); PAUSE;
      ELSIF NAME_IN('SCTN.CLASS_ID') = '0' THEN
       MESSAGE('SANDEEP single ZERO'); PAUSE;
      END IF;
 END IF; 
This code fires when I enter a class id (in the form) as '0000' or '000' or '00' or '0'. Basically we need to prevent the user from entering all 0's and then ensure that the user is not able to navigate the class id text box.

Everything works fine excepting RAISE FORM_TRIGGER_FAILURE i.e. the alert is fired and then the cursor automatically navigates to the next text item.

I have tried a lot of options including GO_ITEM, but realised that this does not work in PL/SQL libraries as it is outside of the form. I am also new to Oracle forms.

My question is: is there any way to ensure that the cursor stays back in class id text box so that the user corrects this and only then navigates.Thanks in advance.
Re: Unable to fire RAISE FORM_TRIGGER_FAILURE [message #678346 is a reply to message #678341] Tue, 26 November 2019 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Why don't you just put this code in when-validate-item on class_id?
Re: Unable to fire RAISE FORM_TRIGGER_FAILURE [message #678347 is a reply to message #678346] Tue, 26 November 2019 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buggleboy007
From what I recall, I have done that too i.e., put the logic in WHEN-VALIDATE-ITEM trigger under item level and it does not even fire because the trigger's execution is set to 'AFTER'. In my opinion even if it's set to AFTER it should fire, but it just does not seem to.

I will try this again today and let you know.
Re: Unable to fire RAISE FORM_TRIGGER_FAILURE [message #678349 is a reply to message #678347] Tue, 26 November 2019 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
That implies you have when-validate-item triggers at block or form level.
If so why?
What's in them?
Re: Unable to fire RAISE FORM_TRIGGER_FAILURE [message #678350 is a reply to message #678349] Tue, 26 November 2019 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buggleboy007
I tried the whole thing again and it worked now. Here's what I had to do in order to get it to work:

a) remove the code written in the PL/SQL library and place the code at item level and then unit test it.

it works to my satisfaction but the bigger problem is, convincing my team lead that it's ok to move it from PL/SQL library to item level validation as the code written under FORM LEVEL (which subsequently calls the PL/SQL library) does not 'raise form_trigger_failure'.

There was no other way around this for me.
Re: Unable to fire RAISE FORM_TRIGGER_FAILURE [message #678351 is a reply to message #678349] Tue, 26 November 2019 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buggleboy007
cookiemonster wrote on Tue, 26 November 2019 09:40
That implies you have when-validate-item triggers at block or form level.
If so why?
What's in them?
Yes, you are correct. There is a when-validate-item trigger at the form level. What it does is, it calls a procedure and the procedure is in PL/SQL library. Here is where I was encountering the issue. For whatever reason, the PL/SQL library was not 'RAISING' the error or trapping it. Hence I moved the code from PL/SQL library to item level of 'when-validate-item'.
Re: Unable to fire RAISE FORM_TRIGGER_FAILURE [message #678355 is a reply to message #678351] Wed, 27 November 2019 03:19 Go to previous message
cookiemonster
That's not really answering the question.
I've never needed a form level WVI trigger and can't think of a good use for one.
Odds are whatever code you have in that trigger would be better in a different trigger, but without knowing what it's actually checking it's impossible to say.
Previous Topic: Forms 10g: FRM-10205: Menu my_erp.mmx not found
Next Topic: Sounds that are emitted first record Oracle Forms 12c
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:43:53 CDT 2024