Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Oracle & Sybase on same host (RDBMS 12.2..0.1 on linux with sybase 15.5)
Oracle & Sybase on same host [message #679178] Wed, 12 February 2020 15:20 Go to next message
evoradba
hello
i have a silly question, we have one host 8 CPUS 82G of memory running oracle 12c and Sybase 15.5 , for Sybase i have allocated 3 engines meaning the rest of CUPS are for oracle, also Oracle sga is 25G and sybase 8G of memory

is there or has anyone else has this kind of setup in production, is there some kind of cap either with sybase or oracle co existing in the same host? we have random performance degradation in oracle ... we are in the midle of migrating from sybase to oracle, but for the time been we need both
many thanks!
Re: Oracle & Sybase on same host [message #679179 is a reply to message #679178] Wed, 12 February 2020 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
evoradba wrote on Wed, 12 February 2020 13:20
hello
i have a silly question, we have one host 8 CPUS 82G of memory running oracle 12c and Sybase 15.5 , for Sybase i have allocated 3 engines meaning the rest of CUPS are for oracle, also Oracle sga is 25G and sybase 8G of memory

is there or has anyone else has this kind of setup in production, is there some kind of cap either with sybase or oracle co existing in the same host? we have random performance degradation in oracle ... we are in the midle of migrating from sybase to oracle, but for the time been we need both
many thanks!
On linux show commands how you restrict & limit Sybase to only 3 CPUS.

When these "random performance degradations" occur, which, if any, system resource(CPU, RAM, or I/O) is the bottleneck?
When these "random performance degradations" occur, is the database responsive to ad hoc SQL issued outside of the application?
When these "random performance degradations" occur, is Sybase performance unaffected?
When these "random performance degradations" occur, what is the wall clock duration of the slowdown?
Re: Oracle & Sybase on same host [message #679181 is a reply to message #679178] Thu, 13 February 2020 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
If you want to ensure that the two databases do not interfere with each other, you could use cgroups to limit the CPU each can take.
Re: Oracle & Sybase on same host [message #679197 is a reply to message #679181] Fri, 14 February 2020 12:17 Go to previous message
evoradba
thank you - unfortunately we are on a old RedHat version which does not support cgroups
Previous Topic: Database performance tuning
Next Topic: Increase page loading speed
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:54:01 CDT 2024