Home » Developer & Programmer » Application Express, ORDS & MOD_PLSQL » Who Uses Oracle HTML DB
Who Uses Oracle HTML DB [message #174133] Fri, 26 May 2006 01:40 Go to next message
orafaametta
Hi All,
I have some quires regarding HTML DB
I am OCP(8i).I have worked on Forms 6i and having experience on both client/server and web forms development.

After working on forms6i since 2 and half years, now, Can I switch to Oracle HTML DB?.What is the Future as far as forms 6i developer is concern?

I also want to know Either HTML DB is designed for managers(to design small BI or reporting applications) or for application developers who has strong knowledge of SQL,PL/SQL and forms6i.

Though I am learning Oracle Application's Database Architecture and schema tables ,is it very useful to learn the forms/reports customization technical details?

Application Standards are oblivious to be learnt but i am asking whether using forms and report builders for customization of forms and reports in oracle application is required OR in long term these tools are going to be replaced by Oracle HTML DB and Oracle XML Publisher respectively?

Please Guide me ..

With Regards
Ashish
Re: Who Uses Oracle HTML DB [message #178099 is a reply to message #174133] Mon, 19 June 2006 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asurana

Hi ashish,

I also want to know the answer of your question. Please also let me know about any upgarde.

--------------------------------
Hi All,
I have some quires regarding HTML DB
I am OCP(8i).I have worked on Forms 6i and having experience on both client/server and web forms development.

After working on forms6i since 2 and half years, now, Can I switch to Oracle HTML DB?.What is the Future as far as forms 6i developer is concern?

I also want to know Either HTML DB is designed for managers(to design small BI or reporting applications) or for application developers who has strong knowledge of SQL,PL/SQL and forms6i.

Though I am learning Oracle Application's Database Architecture and schema tables ,is it very useful to learn the forms/reports customization technical details?

Application Standards are oblivious to be learnt but i am asking whether using forms and report builders for customization of forms and reports in oracle application is required OR in long term these tools are going to be replaced by Oracle HTML DB and Oracle XML Publisher respectively?

Please Guide me ..

With Regards
Ashish
Re: Who Uses Oracle HTML DB [message #180339 is a reply to message #178099] Mon, 03 July 2006 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
It's my understanding that Application Express is not directed at Forms/Reports replacement (at least not yet).
- It can only deploy Web apps. Not Client/Server or Green Screen.
- It is limited in the complexity of application it can generate.
- The report generation capabilities are quite simple.

I see it as more of a competitor to MS Access.

Ross Leishman
Re: Who Uses Oracle HTML DB [message #182543 is a reply to message #180339] Sun, 16 July 2006 20:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Ross,

You say
Quote:

It is limited in the complexity of application it can generate.
As far as native functionality goes that may be true but one of its 'selling points' is that it is fully Java compatible meaning that anything special you want to do can be done in Java and easily and simply embedded in your application. Also, as can be seem from the 'canned' presentation, a 'csv' file with headers (derived from MS Access or Excel, for example) can be converted to a fully functioning Oracle Application with summary functions and pie or histogram charts within 117 seconds, including the verbal introduction.

You also say
Quote:

The report generation capabilities are quite simple.
Was that a negative or positive for Application Express? They may be simple but so are most users and their applications, and configurations are so complex that building printing facilities are a nightmare so telling the user, just print the screen sounds pretty good to me. Especially if the application gives them the opportunity to define the number of rows to be displayed. They can work out for themselves whether they want 'portrait' or 'landscape', and the size of lettering they wish to see on the final report.

David
Re: Who Uses Oracle HTML DB [message #182550 is a reply to message #182543] Sun, 16 July 2006 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
David, don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of ApEx. I think it fills a hole that Oracle has left vacant up until now. But it won't replace Forms/Reports for the same reason McDonalds wont put your local bistros and restaurants out of business.

As for using Java to achieve functionality not available in the application, I've been there with User-Exits written in C and linked into SQL*Forms V2.3 and 3.0. Gotta say, I'm not sorry to have seen the last of them.

Personal opinion: if the on-board functionality of a language/tool can't do the job, then look for one that can. Otherwise you need cross-disciplined programmers, two or more source code repositories, integrated impact-analysis tools, multiple coding standards. Yuk.

Without doubt, I'll be talking up ApEx with my clients because - depending on their expectations - I think it will lower the cost of IT development for them. However, if they're the sort that want to specify in detail how exceptions are raised, or how screens are laid out to the pixel, then maybe I'll just give it miss... for now.

Ross Leishman
oracle usergides [message #203665 is a reply to message #182550] Thu, 16 November 2006 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gopi_0099
hi all,

this is gopi. can u send the links or any soft copies of oracle sql/plsql userguides for reference

bye.
Laughing
Re: oracle usergides [message #203681 is a reply to message #203665] Thu, 16 November 2006 00:35 Go to previous message
rleishman
Don't post unreated questions to the bottom of an existing thread.

Read the STICKY (the first post in the forum) at the top of the Newbies forum, it will tell you to /forum/fa/1681/0/

Ross Leishman
Previous Topic: mod_plsql
Next Topic: Basics of application express
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:08:56 CDT 2024