Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » can collections help (10g)
can collections help [message #289706] Tue, 25 December 2007 13:39 Go to next message
himakar.vucha
Hello,

I am writing a procedure which will perform the below functionality.

take a record from driver cursor read from some 12 tables gather all the details insert into some tracking tables in between and write into a UTL file.

for every record in the driver cursor (say customer) I will write 10 records(customer details) into the UTL file

there are some complex transformations I am performing for every record

All the tables are properly indexed and queries are tuned to the best.

But I am not satisfied with the speed. it is processing some 1500 records per minute in the driver cursor
data in these 13 tables will be around 2 million.

will collections help in this regard ? If so how ?

bulk collect and bulk update/insert will only save time in fetching and inserting but it is navigation through all these 13 tables it is taking time.
Re: can collections help [message #289712 is a reply to message #289706] Tue, 25 December 2007 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:

will collections help in this regard ? If so how ?

Yes, use "bulk collect".

Quote:

but it is navigation through all these 13 tables it is taking time.

So optimize the query.

Regards
Michel
Re: can collections help [message #290097 is a reply to message #289706] Thu, 27 December 2007 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
michael_bialik

Quote:

All the tables are properly indexed and queries are tuned to the best.

says who?

Even if it's correct - you have to optimize the process itself.

Michael
Re: can collections help [message #290103 is a reply to message #290097] Thu, 27 December 2007 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
himakar.vucha
Can you please throw more light on how to optimize the process?
Re: can collections help [message #290106 is a reply to message #290103] Thu, 27 December 2007 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
michael_bialik
Start with posting tkprof

Look for SELECT statements/PLsql function calls that may be rewritten as JOINs.

Michael
Re: can collections help [message #290170 is a reply to message #290106] Thu, 27 December 2007 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
Don't nest the SQLs. Look at the Cuncurrent Cursors section in this article.

Ross Leishman
Re: can collections help [message #290315 is a reply to message #290170] Fri, 28 December 2007 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
himakar.vucha
Hi Thanks a lot for the article.

I need ur help to understand the code.............The basic intention of this approach is to cache some customer service details and customer billing instructions into the collections.

-- Load up the services for the customer
custserv_tab.DELETE;
WHILE custserv_cur%FOUND
AND curr_custserv_rec.cust_num <= curr_cust_rec.cust_num LOOP
IF curr_custserv_rec.cust_num = curr_cust_rec.cust_num THEN
custserv_tab.EXTEND;
custserv_rec.LAST := curr_custserv_rec;
END IF;
FETCH custserv_cur INTO curr_custserv_rec;
END LOOP;

1) This is done for every customer coming from cust_cur
then where are we gaining time because our attempt is to cache a set of customer service records(of more than one customer)?

2) why did we use curr_custserv_rec.cust_num <=
as we are collecting the service details of a single customer ?

Re: can collections help [message #290336 is a reply to message #290315] Fri, 28 December 2007 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Why looping and not loading the whole collection in one shot?
select mycol bulk collect into mycollection from mytable...

Regards
Michel
Re: can collections help [message #290355 is a reply to message #290336] Fri, 28 December 2007 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
himakar.vucha
Hi,

As I said earlier there are 13 such tables with more than a million records in each of them.

If I load every thing in one shot won't memory problems arise ?
Re: can collections help [message #290361 is a reply to message #290355] Fri, 28 December 2007 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
You load more than 1 per 1 without loading the whole stuff.
bulk collect accepts a limit clause.

Regards
Michel

Re: can collections help [message #290421 is a reply to message #290315] Fri, 28 December 2007 16:21 Go to previous message
rleishman
The idea of concurrent cursors is not necessarily to cache data, but to cut down of SQLs executed - which is far more costly in high-volume SQL.

Instead of having one driving cursor that you loop through, and then perform 13 other SQLs or cursors inside the loop, you have 14 SEPARATE cursors which you OPEN all together then fetch them in sequence.

Take another look at the example, it performs only 3 SQL statements, rather than 1 cursor and 2 statements inside the loop that may be executed thousands of times.

Read the whole article through from scatch. If you still don't get it, workshop it with a colleague. I put several hours into that article, and I'm afraid I cannot explain it better than that.

Once you get the concurrent cursors working, then you can apply BULK COLLECT and FORALL statements to imrpove performance further.

Ross Leishman
Previous Topic: Entries are getting very slow.
Next Topic: Max time for all sql's in my process being consumed by db file sequential read
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jun 28 10:31:06 CDT 2024