Home » Developer & Programmer » Application Express, ORDS & MOD_PLSQL » APEX limitations (APEX 3.1 on Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.8.0)
APEX limitations [message #310468] Tue, 01 April 2008 06:44 Go to next message
funcan
At my work, we run a number of Oracle databases to power our main application. We currently have no APEX capability.

I have been investigating using APEX as a way of allowing users around the country to get and respond to messages generated by our companies application. This will entail approximately 2500 new messages a month, each with a number of documents attached, which may need downloading.
In addition, we would be using APEX to replace internal spreadsheets, bought SLA management applications, and so on.

The internal applications are not a concern - I believe that everyone is convinced that APEX is very good at running these kinds of things.

However, I have been struggling to find limits on the performance of APEX when running a production environment with external users.
I understand that how our application and database are created will have an enormous impact on the performance, but I have a colleague at work who is using his (three-year old) experience as a guide to say that an APEX application will be always be incredibly slow under a load of twenty concurrent users.

Is there such a limit on performance?
Does it just scale with the hardware?
If we were to create an application, and have it exceed its capacity, is it easy/possible to upgrade the hardware to meet the load?

Thank you for your help.

Duncan
Re: APEX limitations [message #310541 is a reply to message #310468] Tue, 01 April 2008 09:57 Go to previous message
funcan
I have found some answers to my own question.

An article about calculating performance:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/oramag/oracle/07-jan/o17browser.html

A non-AskTom example of a large scale public APEX application:
https://metalink.oracle.com/

And an example of another large scale production type environment (quote taken from this message )

"...We had 5,000 known users, of which around 3,500 are actively working each day. They are entering around 20,000 orders each day through the system. And we have 400,000 hits per day.
..."

On the other hand, I would love some more examples, with some kind of stats, if possible.

Thanks

Duncan
Previous Topic: Checksum
Next Topic: How to authenticate users using mod_plsql?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:58:43 CDT 2024